Saturday, February 28, 2009

MARY LOU RETTON MEET

It has been more than a month since the Mary Lou Retton meet in Houston, and because of FLIP techinical difficulties, I have been unable to post videos! I think we're FINALLY ready to go!

First, let me say that MLR was, without a doubt, the most fun meet we've been to. I'm not sure if it was because Mary Lou was so accessible to the gymnasts, signing ANYTHING they put in front of her, including an ugg boot, posing for pictures, and congratulating everyone on jobs well done, or if it was because it is the first time we've traveled to a meet. Either way, Chloe had an outstanding weekend.

Because Houston is a solid 4 hour drive from Frisco, and because Southwest had CHEAP flights, Chloe and I flew down with her friend and fellow gymnast, Skylar, and her mom. We spent Saturday afternoon watching the optional girls compete, and that was a lot of fun. Team Eagle placed 2nd at levels 6 and 7, and we had 2 gymnasts place 2nd all around at those levels.

We went to dinner with the other level 4 team girls Saturday night, and then went to watch the Level 10 girls compete. Chloe thoroughly enjoyed spending the night ion the hotel, sleeping in her own Heavenly Bed, playing DS and having full control over the tv!! i think she went to bed at about 10:00 Saturday night, so it was a good thing we were in the afternoon session the next day!

Our girls had breakfast together and headed over for warmups at about 11 Sunday morning. As an added bonus, Chloe's Nahnee and Pookie (my parents), Aunt Ginger, and her cousin, Maddie, all came to cheer her on! It was so fun for them to watch her in her element!!

The flight home will be a whole other blog entry. I will summarize it with the following statement: Shannon Allen is the one of the funnest and funniest people I know!!! We had a great time!

Enjoy the videos below. It will, thankfully, be the last time we hear the Level 4 floor music!!! next year, we move up to Level 5!!

FLOOR: 9.2 She missed her handstand-bridge and had to retry.


VAULT: 8.7 Her coaches say it was, by far, her best vaulting all season, so she was thrilled with her score!


BARS: 9.2 She had the only 9 posted on bars for our gym that day. And she stuck her landing. Way to go, sister!!


BEAM: 9.7 Okay, let me just say here that after our Friends of Achievers Meet in Denton, where she had a great warmup and then fell 3 times on the beam, I was a little nervous when I again saw Chloe's near flawless warmup on the beam. She was having trouble with her dismount, but other than that, it looked really good. So, when she got on the beam and started, I was a wreck. But the child pulled it off.


Our gym walked away with first place for level 4, and Chloe walked away with memories that she is still reliving.

2 comments:

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

I felt like I was there! I can't believe how big Chloe has gotten, and what talent she has! I know you and Joe are proud!

Kate said...

It has been a blast to watch her. The gym schedule can take over your family's life, though, so we are consatntly trying to achieve balance!